The Wellsville City Library was founded by the Honor Brite Girl Scout Patrol and leaders in 1939. A special election passed in 1941 to allow provisions and maintenance of the library.
The Library was moved to the present location on October 31, 1992 after completion of a new building that was donated by Dupreeze Pearson. Interiors were donated by the Friends of the Library Foundation.
Girl Scout Troop which was instrumental in starting Wellsville’s first public library 1939 which has since grown into the present modern library facility. Mrs. Ralph O’Neil and Mrs. Pat Ireland were organizers of the troop. Pictures are front row, left to right: Barbara Warnock, Alice Jo Hostetter, Iris Caulkins, Patricia Warnock, Leila Chanay, Marjorie Sleppy. Back row: Mrs. Phil Ireland, Lois Ann Fields, Louise Seyler, Marilyn Orr, Jean Kirkpatrick, Kathryn Wingert, and Mrs. Ralph O’Neil.